This salad packs apples, walnuts, a homemade balsamic vinaigrette, and an elegant twist – goat cheese croutons!
I’m not a huge salad lover, but ever since I discovered how to make goat cheese croutons, I just can’t get enough! These cheesy “croutons” are crunchy on the outside and creamy on the inside. Your salads will never be the same.
Ready to learn how to make them? Let’s do it!
First, we have to make a little breading station, like we did with our Chicken Parmesan. Put flour into one bowl, whisk an egg in a second bowl, and pour some panko breadcrumbs into a third bowl. Then we take our goat cheese log, cut off a chunk, and dip it in the flour, then the egg – but wait! Don’t dip it in the panko yet!
Goat cheese is super soft and may fall apart with such a thin coating once it’s in the frying pan. To prevent it from melting in the pan, we’re going to dip it in the flour a second time, and then the egg again. Now it’s ready for the panko. Dip dip dip!
Then we’ll put the crouton into our hot frying pan with a little vegetable oil. Once it’s golden, we flip it over. When both sides are golden, we need to put it on its side to get the edges golden, too, and slowly turn it until it’s completely crisp and perfect.
Final step: Do a little dance ’cause you just made a goat cheese crouton! It’s so easy to do and will impress your loved ones – especially the salad lovers! We make two for this recipe so Greyson and I each get one to ourselves, and we get some crunchy creamy crouton in every bite.
Crunchy creamy crouton. Say that five times fast.
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1½ tsp honey
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp finely sliced shallot (from 1 shallot)
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp panko breadcrumbs
- 3 oz goat cheese log (more if desired)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 cups tightly packed mixed greens
- ½ cup sliced apple (I used fuji)
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar and honey. Slowly drizzle in olive oil while whisking rapidly to incorporate. (If oil is settling on top of vinegar, whisk to combine before adding more.) Add shallots and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Create an assembly line to bread goat cheese. Put flour in one bowl, whisk egg in a second bowl, and put panko in third bowl. Cut goat cheese down the middle to make 2 slices (1 per person). Dip each slice into flour, then egg, then flour again, then egg again. Dip in panko and coat completely.
- Heat vegetable oil in small pan over medium-low heat. Fry croutons 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Then stand on edge and rotate, waiting about 1 minute each rotation, until golden all around.
- In the meantime, toss mixed greens with apples, walnuts, and dressing. Top with goat cheese crouton and serve.
Use more apples with Spiced Apple Sundaes, & use the rest of your shallots in Pesto Shrimp Soup!
Have extra goat cheese? Toss noodles with warm marinara or pesto sauce, and top them with a dollop of goat cheese. It’s divine.