Cooking for Twosday has never been so easy! This week it’s quick and simple Crispy Caprese Gnocchi.
Caprese is an Italian word, and it describes a dish that contains tomatoes, basil, mozzarella cheese, and often balsamic vinegar. Lots of dishes can be caprese – salads, omelettes, and even grilled cheese! The refreshing combination is one of my favorites by far.
So while you’re eating this caprese gnocchi, pour yourself some wine, pretend you’re in Rome, and savor the tastes of Italy!
- 1½ cups gnocchi (half of a 1.1 lb package)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- ½ a red tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1 tbsp shredded parmesan cheese
- Cook gnocchi according to package directions. In the meantime, heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Drain the gnocchi and add to the pan. Saute 6-8 minutes, tossing occasionally, until gnocchi is golden and crisp on all sides. Removed to a plate lined with a paper towel. Do not drain the oil from the pan.
- Reduce to low. Add garlic, tomatoes, and balsamic vinegar. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes have softened and vinegar has become a little sweet. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the gnocchi back into the pan and toss in basil and mozzarella.
- Plate the gnocchi. Top with parmesan and serve.
Need a side dish? Try Buttered Parmesan Crostini.
Use the rest of your basil with Lemon Basil Shrimp Pasta.