I’ll be trying to experiment with more veggies while I’m on this healthy kick, so who knows what else I might discover. Ah, the life of a beginner cook. So full of surprises, both good and bad. Speaking of which, I’ve also been trying out a new dessert recipe and am now on my sixth attempt/fail. Wish me luck while I turn my kitchen upside down with all my experimenting!
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ tsp fresh thyme, divided
- 1 tsp lemon zest, divided (from 1 medium lemon)
- 1 cup sliced zucchini, yellow squash, or both
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Using a meat mallet or the bottom of a cup, pound chicken until ½-inch thick (optional). Sprinkle salt and pepper on each side of chicken breasts. Using ¼ tsp thyme and ½ tsp lemon zest per chicken breast, sprinkle on both sides of each. Grill in pan 3-5 minutes on each side, until cooked through, keeping in mind that thicker chicken will require more time. Remove to a plate.
- Add zucchini to skillet and sprinkle with a pinch of salt, pepper, and remaining ¼ tsp of thyme. Add garlic. Toss and grill for 3-4 minutes, tossing occasionally, until softened. (Zucchini will take longer than yellow squash.) When done, pour lemon juice over the top (cue the sizzle), give it a quick toss, and plate alongside the chicken. Serve immediately.
This dish goes great with a side of Buttered Parmesan Crostini!
Use the rest of your lemon with Lemon Blueberry Bread Pudding and Pineapple Shrimp Couscous Skillet.