My mom’s Mango Avocado Salad has been a family favorite at backyard barbecues and daytime festivities for years. In the process of trying to recreate both this recipe and her Meat and Cheese Lasagna recipe, I’ve learned two things that are true of a mother’s cooking.
First, if you give a mom a recipe, she will change it entirely. My mom says she adapted this Mango Avocado Salad from another recipe, but when I looked up that other recipe, it had no similarities other than the avocados and mangoes. She literally changed everything about that recipe and made it into something amazing. How she does that on a whim – I’ll never know.
Second, moms don’t measure things! She’ll throw in a bit of lemon juice, taste it, throw in more, taste it again, and do this until it tastes divine… but neither of us have any idea if she put in 2 tablespoons or a whole cup. I finally made her use measuring spoons, and although it took twice as long, we now have a written recipe that we can all recreate in our own homes. Yay!
- 4 avocados, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2 mangoes, cut into ½-inch cubes
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 small red pepper, seeded, sliced into ½ inch strips (optional)
- ½ cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 6 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1¼ tsp seasoning salt
- Combine avocados, mangoes, onions, pepper, and cilantro in a medium bowl.
- In a smaller bowl combine lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, and salt. Pour the lemon sauce over the avocado mixture, toss to coat, and serve.