It’s National Grilled Cheese Month, so this Cooking for Twosday I’m showing you the secrets I’ve found to making the perfect Monster Grilled Cheese.
3. Patience. This one is arguably the most important. Even if you skip the mayo and use butter instead of olive oil, there is no way you can rush a perfect grilled cheese sandwich. If you turn the heat up to get it done quicker, you’ll burn your bread before your cheese melts. Take your time and you’ll get golden bread AND melted cheese. And isn’t a mouthful of that worth the wait?
Now onward to my favorite grilled cheese sandwich – pepper jack, sourdough, and guacamole. It’s a monster.
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise (I use light mayo)
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- ½ cup guacamole
- 4 slices colby jack cheese
- Heat a 10-inch nonstick pan over medium heat. Drizzle all 4 slices of bread with olive oil on only one side. Lay two slices, greased side down, onto pan. Grill until golden, then remove to cutting board and replace with remaining two slices. Again, grill until golden and remove to cutting board, Reduce heat on pan to medium-low.
- Assemble each sandwich. Spread 1 tbsp mayo on grilled slice of bread. Add 2 slices of pepper jack, then ¼ cup guacamole. (Do not spread all the way to the corners of the bread, otherwise it will fall out of the sandwich while grilling.) Top guacamole with 2 slices colby jack. Spread other 1 tbsp of mayo on grilled slice of bread, and place face down onto colby jack to close sandwich. Repeat to make second sandwich.
- Drizzle the top of each sandwich with olive oil, and place greased side down directly onto hot pan. *Que sizzle.* Both sandwiches should fit in pan side by side. While grilling, drizzle olive oil on tops of sandwiches.
- Wait patiently until cheese in bottom layer has melted and bottom of sandwich is golden. When ready, gently flip over and repeat with other side. Remove to a cutting board, cut each sandwich in half, and serve immediately.
Make some Homemade Guacamole for this recipe!
Use some more of your mayonnaise with Cheddar Spinach Salad.